Whether you’ve had your kids or not, this is something all women (and their supportive men and family members) need to know about. Did you know that your health, vitality, and libido can be impacted long term if you don’t take the time to replenish and nourish yourself after childbirth? Sleep deprivation coupled with the constant demands placed on you may leave you feeling overwhelmed, exhausted and out of control way beyond the immediate postpartum leaving you feeling out of sorts for years (and sometimes decades). That said, it doesn’t have to be this way. Kimberly Ann Johnson, author of the Fourth Trimester, birth doula and sexological bodyworker is back again to unpack it all for you.
What You’ll Learn
- What is the ‘fourth trimester’
- What are the Five universal postpartum needs – Extended rest; nourishing foods; loving touch; presence of wise women; contact with nature
- What does an ideal postpartum look like
- Why women are overwhelmed during the ‘fourth trimester’
- What are the top 5 considerations women need to look at in the postpartum period?
- How you can help your body heal after childbirth
- Why 6 weeks is the minimum time you should ‘rest’
- Why some families hire support workers after birth
- The role of the non-birthing parent
- How you can treat your body with kindness if you have to return to work soon after birth
- The unique challenges of single parents postpartum
- The undeniable importance of partner communication afterwards
- The challenges biology plays in the myth of equal care for an infant
- According to a study most divorces happen during the first year, or looking back that’s when the problems started
- AND MORE!
Aside from being a yoga teacher, postpartum advocate and single mom, Kimberly Johnson is a sexological bodyworker and somatic experiencing practitioner. She has been working hands-on for more than a decade helping women heal and recover from birth injuries, gynaecological surgeries and sexual boundary violations. Kimberly is also the author of the early mothering classic The Fourth Trimester, (who I’ve been telling all of our pregnant patients to read) and is the host of the Sex, Birth & Trauma podcast.
Connect with Kim
Books by Kim
- Tammy Lynn Kent: Tami Kent, MSPT (wildfeminine.com) / @tamilynnkent
- Natural Health After Birth – Aviva Romm
- After The Baby’s Birth – Robin Lim
- Between Heaven and Earth – Harriet Beinfield & Efrem Korngold
Please like, comment, share and give us ideas what content is resonating with you, or what you’d like to hear. Subscribe, give us a 5 star review on Apple podcasts, take a screen shot of you playing this episode and DM us on Instagram @embrace_you_first or our Facebook at to enter to win a complimentary 30 minute consult with Dr. Wylde or Mary Wong each month! If you would like to be a guest on our podcast, please DM us and give us your proposal.