Episode 49: Revolutionizing Weight Loss Strategies (ft. David Bedrick)
Trauma can lead to shame, which can lead to self-destructive talk and behaviour. David Bedrick is a psychologist that specializes in helping women heal trauma, deal with the self-destructive talk and behaviours, and get their LIVES back!
David’s teachings and therapies offer women a chance to see an alternative to looking at our bodies through a lens that others created, one that values where we are and where we want to go, and REMOVE the shame that many have felt for their entire lives.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
- What is ‘hunger’, which is more than physical hunger
- How to change the way you look at yourself
- To acknowledge that others judge books (you) by the cover, not always aware of the story you carry inside
- How to reduce self shame
- Why only 5% of women are successful at sustainably losing weight
- Why 81% of ten-year-old girls are dieting regardless of their BMI index
- Why 97% of women have violent voices in their heads about their bodies
- Why being overweight, even mildly obese, is not a health risk while gaining and losing lots of weight (yo you) is a risk
- How David’s new book “You Can’t Judge A Body By Its Cover” features 17 stories from bodies impacted by sexism and racism, rape and harsh parental criticism, and by the deepest hungers for an authentic life
- How David is teaching women to express their power, creativity, beauty, and intelligence with themselves, in relationships, and in the world
- Why the diet industry amasses over $70 billion, and it banks on women’s body shame and perceived failure around weight
- AND MORE!
David is a speaker, teacher, and attorney and author of the acclaimed Talking Back to Dr. Phil: Alternatives to Mainstream Psychology and his new book Revisioning Activism: Bringing Depth, Dialogue, and Diversity to Individual and Social Change. David spent eight years on the faculty of the University of Phoenix and has taught for the US Navy, 3M, psychological associations, and small groups. He has received notable awards for teaching, employee development, and legal service to the community.
Please like, comment, share and give us ideas what content is resonating with you, or what you’d like to hear. Subscribe, give us a 5 star review on Apple podcasts, take a screen shot of you playing this episode and DM us on Instagram @embrace_you_first or our Facebook at to enter to win a complimentary 30 minute consult with Dr. Wylde or Mary Wong each month! If you would like to be a guest on our podcast, please DM us and give us your proposal.